For this week's post, I've commented on one of the classmate, Cori Gunderson.
Please refer to his website for more information!
http://fieldnotesla.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-10-19T23:08:00-07:00&max-results=7
Here below is the comment I've made on Cori's blog:
Hello, Cori!
I am your classmate, Joo! It is nice to see your post about LACMA because I've been there a few days ago! However, I did not know LACMA is a part of the Miracle Mile you've explained in the post. The Miracle Mile is truly an area where people visit as tourists or other local people because it is located in a convent area where you can reach with your own automobile or by taking public transportations.
You are well addressing the history of Miracle Mile to give a board understanding of how this place was developed as a part of Los Angeles metropolis. For instance, you describe how "Miracle Mile is characterized by museums, commercial buildings, and wide streets… [which are] three lanes wide on either side and packed with cars" and how it was developed by the emergence of "increased use of automobiles".
Throughout the post, you are explaining how this place was a success due to the increased automobility that allowed connection between people and the buildings along Miracle Mile. However, I think it could be a good idea if you'd collaborated the concept we've talked about in class, which is the post-metropolis and the fourth urban revolution.
Even though you have not included that concept, but you are actually talking about the fourth revolution. It is interesting to see how you say "Miracle Mile still reflects the hustle and bustle of its heyday, although instead of shoppers, it is largely occupied by commuters and tourists.." and "Miracle Mile, once embracing and now at mercy of the automobile" because it well explains the logic of automobility that raised the concept of decentralization during the 4th urban revolution. 4th urban revolution's major feature is decentralization that follows by more rapid movement and mobility; meaning that due to the ability to move freely, people can get around easily, so there's no meaning of having a "center" to keep everyone in the same place. It brings up a diversity in a city as well as you described in the post saying: "…this creates a fairly broad range of diversity..".
No comments:
Post a Comment