Friday, October 5, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in L.A.: Week 1


Los Angeles is a diverse city. People from different places come together to this city to live, work, and interact with each other. According to Robert E. Park, “the city is a mosaic of little worlds which touch but do not interpenetrate”. This can be interpreted that these “little worlds” are unique by themselves and have distinguishing values including different social values, thoughts, race, ethnicity, religion, class, and else. I understand social difference as different gender, age, race, and ethnicity, which are shown physically. On the other hands, there are social difference facts that are classified as ranking such as education, economic status, and one’s role in the society.
I am interested in geography 151 class because I am interested in what factors make the difference in our society and what difference are there in our society. Since I was born in Korea, was raised in Israel, and now living in America, I have encountered various ethnicity, race, religion, and differences in general. Therefore, I am very curious to find out how social difference has an influence in one’s nation and may affect other people as well.  In geography 151 class I am happy to learn much more about social difference and study why there is difference in society and inequality in cities.Furthermore, I want to learn what are the future steps towards city and social differences.
This blog will be contributed to the exploration of Los Angeles. For the next 10 weeks, I will be exploring different places and locations around the city to discover the “social differences”. I will be taking pictures and videos to reflect my ideas and thoughts.
-
Hope you guys will enjoy my blog!
Joo

No comments:

Post a Comment